My daughter had her heart set on dougnuts and I knew unless I made them for her she would not have them. I read several recipes and began experimenting with ingredients that were safe for her. We have family staying from the UK at the moment so I thought it would be a nice treat to make some for breakfast today. My daughter suggested the icing I had used on my son’s solar system birthday cake this year (picture at the end of the post), so, I whipped some up and she was right – a delicious combination!
- 150g white rice flour
- 70g tapioca/arrowroot flour
- 100g raw sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp guar gum
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 125g melted margarine/butter (I used Nuttelex)
- ¾ cup milk (I used Cocoquench – a mix of rice and coconut milk)
- 1 egg (no-egg = 1 heaped tsp no-egg powder + 2 Tbs of milk)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix wet ingredients together. I used my Thermomix to mix the wet ingredients together (milk, + milk for the no-egg mixture & melted Nuttelex).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently together.
- Spray a doughnut tin, I used rice bran oil.
- Fill the doughnut sections ¾ full with mixture
- Bake 20 minutes
- Turn out on a wire rack to cool slightly before icing to serve. You could also top them with a sugar and cinnamon mixture instead of icing them.
Chocolate Royal Icing
- 1 cup pure icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 tsp Orgran no-egg powder
- 1 Tbs Cacao
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbs water (add small amounts extra to get the desired consistency)
- Shift icing sugar and cacao together and stir in the no-egg powder
- Add the vanilla paste and water and stir together until desired consistency reached
- Ice the doughnuts using a knife
NB: This icing can be made as white if you omit the cacao and add a little extra icing sugar to replace it. Also, food dyes such as Hopper can be used to colour this icing to make any desired colours.
I searched high and low for my doughnut tin but I later saw them in Big W here in Australia! https://www.bigw.com.au/product/willow-12-hole-donut-baking-pan/p/WCC100000000008256/
My son’s 6th birthday cake – The Solar System (I used this royal icing recipe for the brown, white and yellow icing).