This is one of my favourite meals . It is so quick and hearty and makes great left-overs in a salad or as a spare ready meal. I used to add a splash of balsamic vinegar to it but now leave that out for my very sensitive children- you could easily add some when you splash the olive oil over the casserole before it goes in the oven.
- 6-10 Sausages (whatever sausages suit your diet)
- 1 can of chick peas (rinsed and drained) [I buy organic with no preservatives]
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes [I buy organic with no preservatives]
- 1 red onion chopped into moon crescents
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 2 sweet potatoes [chopped into rough 2cm cubes and pre-steamed]
- Salt & pepper to taste [I use Himalayan salt]
- A sprinkle of dried herbs of your choice [I used Oregano]
- A splash of olive oil over the dish once assembled
- Baby leaf spinach
- Basmati rice
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Spray the casserole dish with a spray oil [I used rice-bran oil]
- Separate sausages and place in the casserole
- Add to the casserole: chopped tomato, chick peas, sweet potato, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, dried herbs and olive oil.
- Mix together and place in the oven for 45 min-1 hour
- Cook rice
- Serve the casserole on a bed of rice and baby spinach leaves
If you give this recipe a try please let me know how it turns out. I’m happy to troubleshoot or discuss how you could substitute these ingredients if some of the ones I’ve used aren’t suitable for your family’s sensitivities.